Home-made Mars bars made with chewy caramel and soft, chocolate nougat all dipped in melted milk chocolate.
|10 piece's||3 hours
|3 hours||25 minutes|
- 2 medium Egg Whites
- ¼ teaspoon Cream Of Tartar
- 300 grams Sugar
- 340 grams Light Corn Syrup
- 125 ml Water
- 113 grams Milk Chocolate, melted
- 2 tablespoons Cocoa Powder
- 200 grams Sugar
- 190 ml Whipping Cream
- 170 grams Light Corn Syrup
- 4 tablespoons Butter, unsalted
- ½ teaspoon Salt
- ½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
- 400 grams Chocolate, your favourite
- Grease an 16x16 cm pan and then line it with parchment paper, with excess on the sides so that you can pull it out later.
- Beat the egg whites with the cream of tartar to soft peaks while the sugar, corn syrup, and water cook on medium-high heat in a medium saucepan.
- Cook the sugar until it reaches the soft crack stage, 132˚C.
- Pour about a teaspoon of the sugar syrup into the egg whites and beat until incorporated.
- Add in another teaspoon and beat some more.
- Continue doing this until all the sugar syrup is incorporated.
- Add in the chocolate and the cocoa powder, and beat until the bowl is slightly warmer than room temperature, about 3 minutes.
- Pour into the pan.
- Spread the nougat into an even layer.
- It might be helpful to place a piece of parchment paper on top and press down on it with your hands to do this.
- Let the nougat sit for 10 minutes at room temperature while you prepare the caramel.
- Cook all the ingredients together in a medium saucepan over medium-high heat until the temperature reaches 118˚C, about 8 minutes.
- Do not stir.
- Pour onto the nougat, and let sit for 2 hours.
- Take out the layers by pulling on the parchment paper and then place them on a chopping board, caramel side down.
- Cut the bars into any size you like.
- Place the layers in the freezer before cutting if you're having trouble.
- This will be sticky.
- Dip the bars using a fork in the tempered chocolate, and then let the chocolate harden at room temperature.
- Store the chocolate bars in the fridge, and let them sit at room temperature for 20 minutes before serving.
- If you want plain nougat, just omit milk chocolate from the recipe.